Monday, September 26, 2011

The Drinking Game

Pretty much all of my friends drink, which is no problem to me. I could care less if they drink or not. I do not drink though. Alcohol is not my friend. When it comes to meeting new people, the topic of alcohol/drinking activities/parties usually comes up early on, especially on a college campus. When people find out that I don't drink, they ask why not. Instead of always giving my usual response of how I don't actually need it to have a great time, I should ask them why they drink in the first place.

Let's face it, at some point in our teen/young adult years, drinking becomes something to be curious about, something that doesn't seem as bad as it is usually portrayed in films, by our parents, etc. Sometimes, it gets hard to be the minority among a group of friends. Surprisingly, I still haven't felt a true temptation to pick up the bottle. I was in a situation once where a guy of interest asked me why I didn't drink, I gave him the usual response, then he asked, "You wouldn't even drink for me?" Now, that would be the most stupid reason for me to ever drink- for a boy. Girls, you are setting yourself up if you decide to drink just to impress a guy- you make yourself vulnerable, and he could take advantage of you. After learning more about this guy and spending a little more time with him, I realized that he definitely was not the guy for me and surely would've tried something if he and/or I were under the influence. He was kinda shady anyway. Anyway...

I just don't see the importance of drinking at my age. The more underage kids I see drinking, the less impressed I am by the alcohol life. I already don't drink, and you think seeing the way my peers act over alcohol should make me want to join in on the fun? No thank you. I'm perfectly fine sober. I can be as crazy and as loose as a drunk person. As I tell people, when I'm delirious, I am equivalent to a drunk person.

As for now, I don't drink. I'm content sober. I don't trust myself under the influence. I'm bound to do something regrettable. I love that my friends can have a great time with alcohol, and I will chill with them while they drink. I'll always be the mama/designated driver of the group, but I'm fine with that. I care too much.

Drink responsibly, kiddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message after the beep....*beep*