Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Video for a Day: "How Strong We Are" by Mark Rose

"How Strong We Are" by Mark Rose

I loved this song the first day I heard it a few years ago. This is a remastered version he did for his debut album which was released last year. If you don't know Mark Rose, you should. He has a great voice, he's talented, and he's reppin' the Chi, so those are the only reasons you need to love him.

Now, I actually want to talk about this video a little bit. I love the shots of Chicago, love 'em. I like that a lot of people were seen, besides just simply whoever walked by while following the singer (what usually happens in music videos), ya know like how the camera was specifically on certain people for lengths of time. I really enjoyed the way this was shot.

The only criticism I have is for the times that it was just Mark chillin in Grant Park, leaning against the railings of bridges and such. While these were shot just as nicely as the rest of the video, I wasn't a fan of Mark's sorta blahness. He never actually looks straight into the camera at all during this entire video. I guess he was going for the serious look and all, but he could've looked into the camera a few times. Also, he could've smiled a few times as well. This isn't a sad song; it's about staying strong during the rough times and getting past those things. Now, this could have been the director's decision to not have him smile or look into the camera and not Mark's. Regardless, though, I think there should've been some smiling and direct eye contact. It would've made it feel a little more personable and not like he was a Chicago-native staring at tourists and all or something. I don't know. Maybe it's just me haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message after the beep....*beep*