Monday, June 17, 2013

Remember Right Now- 10 Years Later


Ten years ago, Spitalfield's groundbreaking album Remember Right Now was released into the world. For those who were involved with the Chicago pop punk scene back then, you'll know this album, you'll remember this band. This is the album that got the band on the road. This is an album of memories, whether you were actually around for these songs or if these songs ignite your own memories of special moments in time- you grow and learn to appreciate moments as they happen, to really live in the now. Quick history on the band: they formed in 1998, released four albums, and played their last show in December 2007 (there have been a few surprise/secret shows since then though). If you don't remember either, maybe you recall the song "I Loved the Way She Said 'L.A.'." Hopefully that song jogged your memory, if not, here's the video:
Now that I've refreshed your memory or introduced you to a new song...

The band decided to get the original lineup together and do a short 10-date tour, playing this entire album from start to finish. 

I was lucky enough to attend their show at Bottom Lounge to kick off the tour last Friday (and I think I bought the very first ticket for the show right when they went on sale). Jon Walker (former member of Panic! At the Disco) and The Future Perfect (featuring Shane of Valencia) opened the show, and they were great. Jon Walker performed an acoustic set, singing sweet songs that would make anyone swoon. The Future Perfect played energetic songs, getting everyone pumped for the rest of the show; they even played two Valencia songs (including "Safe to Say") for all of the fans out there. Then came the band we were all waiting for. The venue was packed, and everyone was ready. The lights went out on the stage, a man walked out, and the old Bulls' intro song started playing. In case you don't know the Chicago Bulls intro:
So this guy introduced every member of the band with this song playing, just like each were an awesome Bulls player coming to court to kick ass. All of the guys reached the stage, made some great jokes, then jumped right into "Those Days You Felt Alive". Part of me wishes that I was up close to the stage, standing with the section of super excited fans who have been with this band since the beginning, but I was pretty content with standing in the back because I had more personal space. I wasn't even standing next to my friend anymore once Spitalfield started playing, nor did I really notice that at first (but that's how I am at concerts- too mesmerized by the music to be completely aware of my surroundings). You could tell that it'd been awhile since the guys had played these songs, but they still a great job for having not played together like this in almost six years or so. They had the perfect amount of energy and quirkiness between songs. Once they played the entire album, they left the stage. Of course everyone screamed for an encore, and we knew it was coming because no one took the instruments off the stage and it's a freakin' reunion show.

The guys returned to stage- Dan had on a baseball uniform, Mark was just in a t-shirt, and TJ had a long-haired wig with a sailor hat on. I was so humored by them, and they started the encore set with a cover of "If It's Here When We Get Back It's Ours" aka this song:
Following this song, they played four songs from Stop Doing Bad Things- "From the Desk of B. Larsen", "So I Heard You Joined a Convent", "Gold Dust vs. State of Illinois", and "Texa$ with a Dollar Sign". Coincidentally, those are four of my favorite songs from that album. I was crossing my fingers that they'd play "What Were You Thinking" as well, but ya know, I couldn't expect them to honestly play both albums all the way through. 
Side note: The fact that they chose to do four songs from SDBT and none from their last album, Better Than Knowing Where You Are, says something. To be honest, that album took the longest to grow on me, probably because it felt so different from the others. Granted, all of their albums sound different, but I think that's the album that just didn't go over as well with the old school fans. You can't please them all. I also feel like the band broke up due to some Victory Records curse that I (15-year-old me) figured to be the cause of three of my favorite bands (Spitalfield, June, The Junior Varsity) playing their final shows in '07/'08, but I'll save that for another post...maybe...

Friday, June 7, 2013 is a night that I will not soon forget. In fact, I'll probably never forget it. I never got to see Spitalfield when they were together before, so being able to see them that night marked one of my unwritten life goals- ya know those goals that are pretty much out of your control and you're only 15% sure they can be achieved at all (having a band reunite after so many years and actually attending one of their shows isn't always likely). Once Fall Out Boy announced that they were getting back together and releasing a new album this year, I hoped and wished for at least another of my favorite Chicago bands to reunite in the near future. Dreams do come true, y'all. 

Here's a video from that glorious night to finish off:



(Extra Reading: You can also check out my friend Brittany's interview with Mark at http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2013/06/mark_rose_spitafield.php)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message after the beep....*beep*