Monday, July 29, 2013

'Upstream Color': A Review


A few months ago, I heard the light buzz around Shane Carruth's latest film Upstream Color. Carruth wrote, directed, and starred in this film- the same exact route he took in creating his 2004 debut Primer. In my eyes, Upstream Color has the same confusion and mesmerism of Primer but with an obviously larger budget. I say confusion because if you saw Primer, at least 80% of the film's dialogues and jargon went right over your head since it is so science-heavy, and Carruth doesn't even try to reduce its language for the common moviegoer. While Upstream is a lot easier to follow as its subject is not time travel, it is still confusing upon the first viewing. 

I thought I understood what was happening during the first thirty minutes or so- a parasite, unrelated people with synchronized movements- but then I found myself puzzled as the film went on. Pigs, albums full of songs created with objects and not instruments, Walden, repetition- more elements that enter the film and seemingly have no clear connection with anything, but their purpose slowly becomes perceptible. By the end, things finally tie together, and you understand how everyone and everything is connected, but you tell yourself that you need to watch it again to fully understand well enough to explain the film to a friend (yes, I realize that I changed narrative view in this sentence). Overall, I enjoyed this film a lot, and I'm ready for Carruth to write/produce/star in another film that pushes my interest in science fiction by having enough dramatic elements to hold me over.

Visually beautiful and contextually perplexing, Upstream Color is a must-see for the independent film lover. If you're a fan of Primer, you better watch this film- that is an open threat- but I must warn you that this film is very much different from its predecessor, so it may disappoint some. If you like the thrill of Christopher Nolan's Memento, but you also desire to be challenged a bit more, then this is a film for you. 

The film is available to purchase in various formats here. The website also lists other retailers you can purchase the film from, including Amazon, iTunes, Best Buy, and Wal-Mart. 
You can also stream the film online on Netflix.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a message after the beep....*beep*